Direct Support: Working with People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
This video shows real direct support workers at work, describing their job duties and talking honestly about the rewards and challenges of their work. Watching this video can help job applicants decide if a direct support position working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities is right for them. The total run time is about 20 minutes.
If you are interested in becoming an Instructor (Direct Care Staff) at Reach Unlimited, you can click on the “Apply Online Now” button below. You will be prompted to complete an online application and 3 brief assessments. Please set aside at least 30 minutes to complete this process. You may also apply by visiting our administrative office between 8:30 am – 3:30 pm, Monday through Thursday and between 8:30 am – 2:30 pm on Friday.
Sharing our Commitments
Every member of the Reach staff shares the goal to assist our clients in leading more independent lives. We seek, respect, and value the diverse qualities and backgrounds our staff bring to the agency, and are committed to utilizing the richness of knowledge, ideas, and experience our diversity provides.
Summary of Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries and wages, our full-time staff members have access to a benefit package that includes medical insurance, dental and vision plan, life and AD&D insurance, 401(k) retirement savings plan, and paid time off.
The minimum requirements for residential direct care positions include a high school diploma or GED and a current and valid driver’s license. Minimum requirements for direct care staff working at the Learning Activity Center are the same but also include experience working with individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities in a training or educational setting.
Notice to Prospective Employees
Post-offer/pre-employment screening includes criminal history background check, motor vehicle report, and urinalysis drug screen.
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS (as of 5.2.2019)
ADMINISTRATION (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME ELIGIBILITY IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER, M-F, (FLEX)
- PART-TIME SPEECH PATHOLOGIST, M-F, (FLEX)
CREEKSTONE VILLAGE: (Cypress Area)
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT/SUN, 9A-9P
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT/SUN, 9P-9A
CUTTEN GREEN: (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR: WED 9P-9A, SAT/SUN, 8A-8P
CYPERESS COTTAGE: (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR: WED, 9P-9A, SAT/SUN, 8A-8P
GRANT MEADOWS (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT, 9A -MON, 9A
HCS INSTRUCTOR: (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME HCS FLOATER: (FLEX)
ICF INSTRUCTOR: (Cypress Area, Tomball Area, Spring Branch Area)
- FULL-TIME ICF FLOATER: (FLEX)
INGRAFFIA: (Cypress Area)
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SUN, 11A-8P
LEARNING ACTIVITY CENTER: (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME GREENHOUSE INSTRUCTOR: M-F, 8:30A-5P
- FULL-TIME PE/MUSIC & EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR: M-F, 9:30A-6P
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR: M-F, 8A-4:30P
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR: M-F, 8:30A-5P
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR: MON-FRI, 9:30A-6P
- PART-TIME DRIVER: M-F, 9A-3P
LINNFIELD: (Cypress Area)
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT/SUN 9A-9p
MUELLER HOUSE (Cypress Area)
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT/SUN, 9A-6P
PIPER HILL (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR, M-F, 3P-11P
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR, FRI, 11P-9A, SAT/SUN, 9P-9A
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR, SAT/SUN, 9A-9P
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR, SAT/SUN 9A-6P
RIATA RANCH (Cypress Area)
- FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR; M-F, 3P-11P
SHADY VILLA PLACE: (Spring Branch Area)
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT/SUN, 9A-5P
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT, 10A-10P, SUN, 8A-6P
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: M-F, 4P-9P
- PART-TIME INSTRUCTOR: SAT/SUN 10A-6P
Reach Unlimited, Inc., is the most comprehensive provider of programs and services for persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the greater Houston Northwest area. Prospective candidates should apply online or in person at 11832 Mueller Cemetery Rd. Cypress, TX 77429 or fax resume to: (281) 213-4545. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of Primary Job Duties – Instructor Position
(Direct Support Professionals)
- Provides supervision and assistance to assigned individuals to ensure their safety and well-being.
- Assists with daily living activities and assistance in the areas of personal hygiene and grooming, money management, meal preparation, socialization, and domestic (housekeeping) activities.
- Implements training and behavioral programs and relevant service objectives as outlined in the client’s individualized plan.
- Provides safe transportation in company–owned vehicle as needed for client medical appointments, job attendance, recreational activities, etc.
- Assists clients in meeting dietary needs by following physician and dietician directed orders and menus. Assists clients with meal preparation to include proper food preparation and storage.
- Supervises clients with the self-administration of medications as ordered and specified. Accurately documents medication administration. Notifies the appropriate personnel when medication needs to be re-ordered.
- Provides accurate and timely documentation substantiating the delivery of services to clients as outlined in their individualized plan and company policy and procedures.
- Reports facility maintenance issues so that regulatory standards are met and a comfortable and safe living environment is provided.